Membership at Main Street Church
Covenant membership is a commitment to one another—a willing pledge to guard, care, submit, support, and minister together for the building up of our church body. Covenant membership at Main Street Church consists of four steps:
- Class 1: Who Is Main Street Church? MSC’s Mission, Vision, and Core Commitments – Casey
- Class 2: God’s Mission and the Church – Casey
- Class 3: MSC’s Financial Stewardship – Corey
- Class 4: Baptism and Communion – Tom
- Class 5: Church Covenant, Church Leadership, and Serving – Doug, Steve, and Cassandra
The membership class has a two-fold purpose:
To provide an informal setting where prospective members can get to know each other and the elders of the church, as well as learn what the pastoral staff and church believe on various topics. All are welcome, whether or not they are interested in membership.
To give an opportunity for prospective members to become acquainted with an elder who can help them connect with one or more of the church’s ministries. The membership class is a requirement for church membership.
Baptism is a visible symbol of God’s saving work within a person. It is the outward sign of belonging to the people of God—those who have repented and put their faith in Jesus Christ. You should be baptized if you have repented of your sins and believed on Christ alone for salvation and have not already been baptized as a believer.
If you have not yet been baptized as a believer, baptism is the next step to proceeding toward covenant membership. Those seeking baptism should contact Pastor Doug Hon to set up an interview during which he will listen to the story of how the Lord saved you and ask why you would like to be baptized. If he and the eldership sense that you are ready for baptism, a baptism service will be arranged.
The next step in proceeding toward covenant membership is a pastoral interview. Assuming prospective members have been or are going to be baptized, upon completion of the Membership Classes prospective members will arrange a forty-five minute meeting with Pastor Doug Hon. Some goals of this interview are:
- To learn how the Lord saved you
- To confirm that you understand the meaning of church membership
- To confirm that there are no biblically warranted concerns with your joining Main Street Church as a covenant member
- To answer questions or help you find opportunities to connect at Main Street Church